Preparing for the holiday season becomes especially magical when Paris provides the most enchanting of backdrops. From the large department stores to the most charming Christmas markets, there are great gifts to be discovered as you count down the days to the most eagerly anticipated time of the year.
Your Christmas shopping on the Champs-Elysées
The Hotel Daunou Opera is located close to the most famous avenue in the world, about 2 km away, where the biggest brands are on hand. Shop windows dressed in their festive finery provide a glimpse into a sparkling world in which are gathered together the best ideas for table and interior decorations and original and stylish gifts.
The 150th anniversary of Printemps
It’s their sesquicentennial, and to mark this very special anniversary, the world-famous Printemps department stores are pulling out all the stops for Christmas. Various superb collections are highlighted, as well as gifts for any budget. Gold is the principal theme. The superb Christmas decorations shine brightly and the display windows are even more bold and imaginative than in previous years, delighting young and old alike. Additionally, a huge pop up stands at the entrance to the store. This new interactive beauty space created by Lancôme welcomes the public, who are then then plunged into the most festive of atmospheres. Parades will be held regularly and a certain red suited figure and his elves will, of course, be on hand. Add in gifts, balloons, workshops, brass bands, carols ... What better way to enjoy your Christmas shopping?
Essential Christmas markets
They’re now part of the festive scene in practically all the major cities, but in Paris they’re extra-special. Christmas markets take place from the 15th/19th November until January 4th on the Champs-Elysées, as well as Montmartre, La Défense and elsewhere. Here you can roam amongst hundreds of brightly decorated stalls, many of which offer unique gift ideas, including artisan foods, handicrafts and, of course, Christmas decorations.
Christmas at the Beaugrenelle shopping centre
The brand new Beaugrenelle mall in Paris is considered the essential 21st century shopping centre, striking a careful balance between chic and prestige. This 50,000m2 temple of retail bliss is conveniently located just steps away from the Eiffel Tower. The biggest and most popular brands have outlets here and there’s a wide and varied choice of restaurants, as well as a multiplex cinema. The Beaugrenelle’s bold glass and metallic mesh architecture and its green roof combine to give a special touch to this impressive mall.
With so many activities, majestic decorations, great gift-buying opportunities and legendary attractions, Paris is undeniably the perfect destination in which to prepare for Christmas. A "Christmas shopping" getaway in the City of Light will leave young and old starry eyed and full of seasonal cheer!
• Christmas Arch (Arche de Noël) at La Défense - november 19th to december 27th 2015 - Metro line 1, station Grande Arche de La Défense or RER line A2, station La Défense
• Christmas market at Champs Elysées, Paris 8è - november 15th to january 4th 2016 - Metro line 1, 2 or 6, station Charles De Gaulle Etoile or RER line A, station Charles De Gaulle - Etoile
• Christmas market at Paris Notre Dame - Paris 5è - december 12th to december 23th 2015 - Metro line 10, station Maubert
• Christmas market at Montparnasse - Paris 15è - december 10th to december 31st 2015 - Metro line 4, 6, 12, 13, station Montparnasse Bienvenue
• Christmas market at Quai Branly (Tour Eiffel) - december 17th to january 3rd 2016 - Metro line 6, station Bir-Hakeim or Trocadéro or line 8, station Ecole Militaire
• Christmas market at Bir-Hakeim - december 16th to january 3rd 2016 - Metro line 6, station Bir-Hakeim or RER line C5 or C7, station Champ de Mars - Tour Eiffel
• Christmas market at Champ de Mars - december 18th to january 3rd 2016 - Metro line 6, station Bir-Hakeim or RER line C5 or C7, station Champ de Mars - Tour Eiffel
• Solidary Christmas market at Palais des Congrès, Porte Maillot - december 6th 2015 - Metro line 1, station Porte Maillot or RER, line C1, station Neuilly - Porte Maillot
Hotel Daunou Opera, an elegant 3-star hotel in Paris, opera district